As a nonprofit fundraiser with a focus on major gifts, you know that screening potential donors for key wealth and philanthropic indicators is critical for developing an impactful fundraising strategy. You also know that while conducting this screening, one of the key things to look for is the prospect’s previous giving history—both within your organization as well as to other philanthropic causes.
A charitable giving database helps you do exactly that! By collecting data from a wide range of reputable sources, a giving database offers unique and insightful information to guide nonprofit fundraising.
At DonorSearch, we provide nonprofits with access to the world’s largest, most comprehensive charitable giving database. We also wish to share our extensive knowledge of major donor fundraising and prospect research with organizations looking to learn more. That’s why we’ve put together this useful resource!
Here, we’ll cover the following:
- The Importance of Charitable Giving Data
- Critical Research on Charitable Giving
- How to Use a Charitable Giving Database
- DonorSearch’s Charitable Giving Database
- Other Nonprofit Database Solutions
Ready to learn more about the power of charitable giving data and how to leverage it for your organization’s outreach strategy? Let’s dive in.
The Importance of Charitable Giving Data
A prospect’s previous giving history is the #1 indicator of future giving potential. Curious how we know?
We’ve tested our predictive models against $5 billion in known giving from more than 2 million donors to over 400 fundraising organizations. We’ll discuss our findings in more detail below, but the bottom line is:
This way, you can uncover powerful insights such as the average size gifts they’ve given in the past as well as the types of organizations and causes they typically support. If your nonprofit seems to fall in line with a prospect’s values and principles, you’ll have a better chance at acquiring them as a donor for your cause. Additionally, you can craft better, more targeted donation appeals when you have a solid understanding of the sizes of gifts they’ve given before.
Critical Research on Charitable Giving
We’ve done the research on charitable giving—and the wealth and philanthropic markers that typically coincide with it. Through stats pulled from our proprietary charitable giving database, we’ve picked out some metrics that really help illustrate the importance of past giving as an indicator of future potential:
- A donor who has made a gift between $5k—$10k to a nonprofit organization is 5 times as likely to donate charitably as the average person.
- A donor who has made a gift between $10k—$25k to a nonprofit organization is 10 times as likely to donate charitably as the average person.
- A donor who has made a gift between $50k—$100k to a nonprofit organization is 25 times as likely to donate charitably as the average person.
- A donor who has made a gift of $100k+ to a nonprofit organization is 32 times as likely to donate charitably as the average person.
Of course, there’s no way to know for certain whether a prospect is going to be your next major donor. But these stats show that with the right background knowledge and prospect screening tactics, you’re drastically more likely to target donors with the ability and affinity to contribute substantially to your cause.
How to Use a Charitable Giving Database
A comprehensive database allows nonprofits access to all sorts of valuable information about their donors and prospects, helping fundraising teams improve strategies such as major gift fundraising, planned giving, capital and annual campaigns, and more.
To improve your own fundraising, fill in all of the relevant details you need to effectively acquire donations using a charitable giving database that leverages information from a wide range of reputable sources. These often include:
- Annual Reports Charitable Donations Database
- FEC & State Political Giving Databases
- Wealth X Database
- DonorSearch Real Estate Database
- Database USA
Effective prospect research gives you the information you need to succeed when cultivating your donors, so start your research by exploring prospects’ historic charitable giving and work your way to other topics like business affiliations and stock ownership.
DonorSearch’s Charitable Giving Database
Our charitable giving database is one of the largest and fastest-growing philanthropic databases in the country, with more than 100 million donor records and an astonishing growth rate of 500,000-700,000 per week.
Combining annual reports curated from a bevy of nonprofit websites and print references that are otherwise challenging to uncover, this proprietary resource is teeming with insights to optimize your fundraising approach. With an abundance of gift records (and the numbers only growing), DonorSearch has the resources you need to make informed and strategic plans for cultivating new donors.
And what does each record entail? DonorSearch collects charitable giving data on major donations, allowing organizations to improve their own solicitation strategies. Our comprehensive profiles list key information such as:
- Donation amount
- Type of donation
- Year the gift was made
- Organization that received the gift
Using this data, organizations can search for potential contributors to learn more about previous giving behavior and better target their fundraising approach. You can even uncover new, exclusive information that you won’t find elsewhere!
And if you’re not ready to invest in full prospect research strategies, we offer a free, limited search tool called DSGiving. This publicly available resource allows nonprofits to search for information regarding a specific person or business, filtering by state and type of gift.
Other Nonprofit Database Solutions
Beyond DonorSearch’s comprehensive charitable giving database, these additional software supplements can be a huge help in driving your fundraising efforts forward. Let’s explore a few categories of powerful software solutions as well as examples of our favorites for each type of tool.
Donor Management Databases
A donor management database, also known as a CRM or constituent relationship manager, can go a long way in organizing and optimizing a nonprofit’s donor relations. Two of our favorite CRMs include Salsa and Bloomerang.
Salsa is a powerful donor management system that offers modern, data-driven tools to help your nonprofit manage and engage supporters.
The Salsa SmartEngagement platform is built to unify and elevate fundraising and outreach efforts. By combining embedded best practices with industry-leading automation and machine learning technology, Salsa empowers your team to make better decisions and grow your mission.
Salsa’s database features include:
- Rich, customizable donor profiles
- Online and offline donation processing
- Marketing automation for email, social media, text, and more
- Performance dashboards and intelligent reporting
- Peer-to-peer fundraising
- Multi-channel advocacy campaigns
In addition to these features, you can even integrate with the DonorSearch giving database to take your donor management to the next level.
Bloomerang is another innovative nonprofit management software solution used to effectively manage donor relations for organizations of all shapes and sizes. This system provides nonprofits with carefully calculated engagement and generosity scores based on past engagement and wealth screening data from DonorSearch.
Bloomerang’s donor management software incorporates:
- An interactive, easy to read dashboard with fundraising data
- Smart suggestions for improving fundraising, retention, and stewardship
- Detailed constituent profiles with chronological timelines
- Powerful social media, email, and direct mail marketing tools
If you’re looking for a fundraising management database with top-of-the-line tools to raise more for your organization, Bloomerang is a great pick. Their custom integration with DonorSearch allows you access to information from our charitable giving database as well.
Matching Gifts Databases
A matching gifts database can help a nonprofit maximize an often underutilized fundraising strategy—corporate matching gifts. These solutions make it simple to promote matching gifts to supporters and encourage them to explore their own eligibility. Of all the matching gifts databases, we suggest Double the Donation and 360MatchPro.
Double the Donation
Double the Donation is the world’s largest matching gift database containing information on thousands of companies with corporate matching gift programs. Their searchable database within the Premium Plan allows nonprofits to:
- Quickly and easily embed a search tool on their donation page
- Search more than 20,000 companies and subsidiaries for matching gift programs
- Provide employer guidelines regarding matching gift eligibility as well as minimum and maximum donations
- Direct eligible donors to match request forms from their employer
Even better, Double the Donation integrates with DonorSearch’s charitable giving database to provide nonprofits with a more comprehensive look at available donor data.
If your nonprofit is interested in taking your matching gifts fundraising strategy to the next level with automation, 360MatchPro is the software for you! Their software is designed to help you:
- Find your donors’ eligibility based on their email domains
- Easily track interactions and report on matching gift revenue
- Automate outreach to drive more matches to completion
You’ll be able to instantly identify matching gift-eligible donors when they donate with their corporate emails by searching the email domain in Double the Donation’s extensive database. Then, you can trigger automated emails to send them until the match is contributed. Since the platform handles much of your donor interactions automatically, it will save your team time to focus on your highest-value opportunities.
Event Management Databases
Many organizations rely on fundraising events to raise critical funds for their operations, but planning and hosting an effective and profitable event isn’t easy. Consider event management databases to help streamline the planning process—our favorites being Fonteva and Pathable.
If your organization uses Salesforce and you’re looking for event management software, check out Fonteva Events! This event planning database software can help:
- Develop registration flows and manage guest lists
- Organize speakers, vendors, and venues
- Provide detailed data insights, comprehensive reports, and drag-and-drop dashboards to track your progress
Designed specifically for nonprofits and associations, Fonteva assists in planning and pulling off all types of fundraising events such as virtual, in-person, and hybrid experiences. In addition, the Fonteva Events platform is built on Salesforce for flawless integration to your existing software, making this event management solution even easier to use.
OneCause is an event software platform that equips nonprofits and other organizations with an easy-to-use online event center and management tools. With this software, you’ll have access to the following key features:
- Ticketing, registration, and guest management
- Communication tracking and mass messaging
- Real-time reporting and analytics
OneCause also offers specific tools for auctions, which is one of the most lucrative event types for nonprofits. Alongside their standard event features, these specified tools make it easy to invite the right supporters and promote bidding on top items. This event management platform integrates with other top donor databases, including Salesforce, Raiser’s Edge, and more to seamlessly transfer data between multiple systems.
Leveraging a charitable giving database can make a huge impact on your prospect research strategy. In fact, it can even be the difference between taking an informed and an uninformed approach to major gift fundraising.
Explore the DonorSearch database to uncover invaluable information about prospective givers and their previous donation history to determine how to better target them in your own fundraising efforts.
If you’re looking to learn more about prospect research and other effective fundraising practices, check out these additional resources:
- Major Donor Fundraising: 13 Effective Strategies. If you’d like to improve your major donor fundraising strategies, be sure to explore this helpful resource. You’ll secure more major gifts in no time.
- Affinity to Give: 3 Essentials for Prospect Research. Past giving habits are a critical component of a donor’s affinity to give, but it’s not the only element that signifies a donor’s giving affinity. Learn more with this guide.
- Nonprofit Fundraising Metrics: 26 Essential KPIs to Track. Tracking and leveraging fundraising data is a surefire way to improve your organization’s strategy. Explore our suggested key performance indicators here.