- Choose the right platform for your crowdfunding campaign
- Make giving to your crowdfunding campaign easy for mobile donors
- Leverage social media tools for more effective fundraising
- Launch team crowdfunding campaigns to boost engagement
- Grow your community with informative supporter data
1. Choose the right platform for your crowdfunding campaignGetting your crowdfunding campaign right depends upon choosing the right platform for your fundraiser. Successful social media fundraising is already dependent on having accessible giving pages ready for your supporters, and this becomes even more crucial when your crowdfunding campaign comes into the mix. When picking a crowdfunding platform, be sure your host offers fully customizable giving pages to your team. The more your crowdfunding page aligns with your social media identify, the more likely it is donors will give to your campaign. This means your crowdfunding page should feature:
- Your nonprofit’s logo
- Your branded color scheme
- Photos and videos of your community at work
- Automated social share buttons that prompt donors to spread the word after they give
- Thank-you pages that appear after a donation is made that are customized to your campaign
- Branded hashtags that are unique to your crowdfunding campaign
2. Make giving to your crowdfunding campaign easy for mobile donorsSince nearly 80% of all social media activity happens on smartphones, you want your crowdfunding campaign to be easily accessed on mobile devices. This means that if your team wants to make a big splash on social media, your crowdfunding campaign should be designed with mobile users in mind. You can start this process by enabling text-to-donate giving for your supporters. With text-to-donate, motivated supporters simply send a branded keyword to a pre-set phone number. In an instant, they are sent back the link to your mobile crowdfunding page and can make a donation. Many of your supporters might not know about text-to-donate fundraising, so you can leverage your social media real estate to educate them on the process. Consider trying some of these compelling call to action ideas:
- Recruit social media influencers to promote your text-to-donate campaign
- Post easy how-to videos promoting text-to-donate for your crowdfunder
- Share your crowdfunder’s fundraising thermometer with your text-to-donate information front-and-center
3. Leverage social media tools for more effective fundraisingOne of the downsides of trying to tap into social media fundraising? There are a lot of other nonprofits out there leveraging social strategies to boost the reach of their crowdfunding campaigns. This can make it hard to get noticed and easy for your crowdfunder to fall by the digital wayside. Want to ensure your crowdfunding campaign gets the support it deserves? Put into practice some of these social media fundraising strategies to help get your campaign out there:
- Facebook giving. Did you know that your supporters can give to your campaign directly through Facebook? With the right online giving software, your nonprofit can embed your giving form directly into your Facebook profile. This means your supporters can easily donate within Facebook, making giving online more convenient than ever.
- Automatic sharing. After your supporters donate, you can set up sharing buttons to automatically appear along with a thank-you message. This way, you can call your supporters to action to spread the word about your crowdfunding campaign. Remind them to include your campaign’s hashtag for an added signal boost!
- Campaign videos. Be sure to post lots of videos on social media promoting your crowdfunding campaign. Not only will these videos help amplify your message, but because many social media sites favor videos in their newsfeed algorithms, this content is more likely to be viewed by supporters – which is why your video marketing strategy should be a high priority.
4. Launch team crowdfunding campaigns to boost engagementCrowdfunding and social media engagement go hand-in-hand because of the highly social nature of this fundraising strategy. Since crowdfunding campaigns rely on many small donations from large group of supporters, it’s no wonder that they work so well online. However, you can take the social nature of your crowdfunding campaign to the next level by launching team crowdfunding for your followers. Team crowdfunding is a type of fundraising where a nonprofit allows fundraising teams to launch crowdfunding campaigns of their own on the organization’s online fundraising platform. Teams can be made up of:
- Dedicated volunteers
- Past donors
- Staff members
- Individuals affected by your mission
- And more!
5. Grow your community with informative supporter dataAnother reason why smart social media strategies can take your crowdfunding campaign up a notch is by using the platform to learn more about your supporters. The more you know about your donors and volunteers, the better your team will be able to tailor your crowdfunding efforts to them. What’s great about social media is that it gives your nonprofit access to so much donor information that you might not yet have on file. For example, a quick look at a supporter’s profile can reveal:
- Their age, gender, and marital status
- Their likes, dislikes, and hobbies
- The company that they work for
- Other nonprofits they are affiliated with
- And more!
Crowdfunding is driven by social media, so it makes sense to lean on proven social media strategies to give your campaign the boost it needs. With these tips in mind, you’re ready to start fundraising!
- DonorSearch’s 4 Types of Nonprofit Crowdfunding Platforms. Still curious to learn more about nonprofit crowdfunding platforms? Check out our guide to find out what kinds of crowdfunding platforms are out there.
- DonorSearch’s How to Engage Alumni Effectively. Crowdfunding is one of the op ways for universities to engage alumni online. For more alumni engagement strategies, check out our favorite tips.