Big shops are unique when it comes to building and managing prospect portfolios:
Consistent and coherent Initiative- or program-based fundraising from a central pool of prospects can be tricky. Your efforts need to be coordinated, and, more importantly, your interactions need to be meaningful.
DonorSearch clients have a distinct advantage, in that we deliver the key intelligence (proven philanthropy, markers of capacity, etc.) and portfolio building and management tools that make winning big possible. Here’s how they’re winning:
THE DATA -- THE PLACE TO START
- Screening the Donor/Prospect Base: Collect detailed information on both wealth AND philanthropy. The giving information is critical–where a donor has given before tells you what purpose they’re likely to connect with at your organization.
- Seed the User Fields of Your Screening File: Include things like degree area, division affiliation, etc. to aid in refining your results. ALSO dedicate a BLANK column to the portfolio assignment.
THE ANALYSIS -- PORTFOLIO BUILDING BLOCKS
ASSIGNMENT AND COORDINATION
- Refine lists and assign prospects from within the DonorSearch My Portfolio module.
- Add specific assignment ‘codes’ to one of the user columns to minimize confusion.
- Subscribe to DonorSearch’s Sub-Account service which allows you to control access and view–sub-accounts will only see the finished product so they can take quick action.
- Establish prospect management guidelines and policies.
- Up-load the portfolios — with ratings and assignment codes, along with the new information from your screening — to your CRM.
- Teach a fundraiser to fish. When you deliver the portfolios by DS sub-account, train your users to
- View their lists using a role-based layout — so they focus on the philanthropic indicators.
- Edit and annotate the individual profile with photos and strategic talking points.
- Use the DonorSearch ProspectView platform…So they can do additional prospecting on their own!
The biggest takeaway for Playing Big is focusing on PHILANTHROPY – it is the most direct route to identifying prospects for specific purposes, so you can win BIG.